The P2000 System enabled this home to exceed Energuide Predictions
Building: Residential 2×6 Wood Frame
Type of Heat: Geo-Thermal
Product: 1” RPR P2000
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Jim Suderman was building a new family home. He wanted his home to be energy efficient, and his background in engineering prompted him to thoroughly research his options for heating/cooling as well as insulation. The original insulating concept was designed around conventional methods for producing an energy efficient home. But Jim wanted to go even further and after a thorough investigation, he decided to incorporate P2000 into the insulation system for the home.
The Insulation Package
• Ceiling: 1” P2000 plus R40 blown in on top
• Walls: R-20 White Fibreglass plus 1” P2000 over exterior plywood sheathing
• Basement: ICF foundation with 1” P2000 under floor
• Garage: 1” P2000 only (no cavity insulation)
Remarkable Thermal Performance:
• Energuide efficiency test performed by Manitoba Hydro rated the home at a remarkable 86 (excellent)
• R-2000 ratings target a minimum score of 80
• Energy consumption for heating was 32% lower than Energuide projection
• Overall energy consumption for both cooling and heating was 20% less than projected in the Energuide report.
• Energuide technician recognized P2000 as an R-5 for the computer report …. Could he
1” P2000 Performs Remarkably by Itself
Structure: Farm House
Outside Temp: -20 oC (-4 oF)
A site visit was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the P2000 system using thermal
imaging. The installation consisted of 1” RPR P2000 installed on the third floor walls and
ceiling, no other insulation on this level. This installation gives a true indication of P2000’s
effectiveness by itself.
• Negligible thermal bridging visible in either the walls or ceiling.
• Would expect stud areas to be at higher temperature than cavity if heat transfer was purely conduction due to higher theoretical R value at the stud location (2 x 6 stud + P2000 versus air space + P2000). This is not the case.
• Drywall surface temperature 35 oC (63 oF) higher than exterior temperature
Outstanding Results Using Only P2000 … No Other Insulation
Client: Cooke’s Heating
Building: Wood Frame
Type of Heat: Forced Air Furnace
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
P2000 Contact: Richard Cormier
Hazen Cooke was building a new, two storey, 32! x 40! office building and showroom for his heating service business. Being located in Eastern Canada, where winters are sometimes long and very cold, Mr. Cooke knew that the proper choice of insulation would be critical. He heard about P2000 Insulation at a Spring home show and was sold on its benefits.
• 1” P2000 insulation was installed on the exterior walls of the entire building
• 3/8” P2000 insulation was applied to the downstairs ceilings
• 1” P2000 insulation was applied to the upstairs ceilings
• No other insulation was used in the building
• Downstairs walls were finished with sheetrock—right over the studs with empty cavities
• Sheetrock was applied directly over the P2000 on all ceilings
• Vinyl siding was applied to the exterior directly over the P2000 and nailed into wall studs
• Building is warm and tight—no sign of drafts
• Furnace is running infrequently
• Cost $225/month to heat 2560 ft2 (2007)
“I am extremely pleased … P2000 is an amazing insulation product and I am already recommending it to others”
“I am writing today to tell you how happy we are with the P2000 product. I will admit to being wary at first.
We used 5/8″ P2000 throughout our house. It is under our basement floor, on the inside of all our walls, on the top 2 floors, and on the ceiling. I will add it wasn’t used on the basement walls, as we have an ICF foundation and there is no need for extra insulation.
We have gone through our first winter and we could not be happier. The ceiling, as I mentioned above, is covered with 5/8″ P2000 Insulation. Because of time constraints, the blown in insulation has not yet been done.
I should add that we have a geothermal heating system and burn no oil or wood. We do use some electricity and this past winter our total electricity bill averaged $250 per month. We figured we heated the house for about $150 per month. Heat rises and there is 5/8″ P2000 between the heated part of our home and the outdoor cold temperatures in our attic. The house temperature was set at 68 – 70 degrees all winter. I should also add we are heating about 2850 square feet.
We are extremely happy. We can show you the pictures and the electric bills. Thank you for a great product.”
Garth & Anne Dixon – PEI
“At Eastern Illini, we had been looking for an insulation system that would help our members reduce their utility bills and increase their comfort. We required a product that would be easy to install in walls (behind siding), basements, crawl spaces, foundations, & attics.
We have found such a product in your P2000. Our members have installed it in all the above-mentioned areas and are extremely pleased with the overall results. It has also helped make old, drafty houses more comfortable by stopping air and moisture infiltration.
Another thing that is very apparent with P2000 is, it makes existing insulation more effective and works where other insulation won’t.
We now have many building contractors and re-modeller installing P2000 for our members. To our knowledge, there is no other insulation system that compares with the performance of P2000. To everyone, we highly recommend the installation of P2000.
Thank you for introducing P2000 to us. It is an incredible product that addresses all of the issues we face in helping our members become more energy efficient in east central Illinois.”
Bob Dickey – Paxton, I